Wednesday 14 January 2009

New Beginnings

My third season of competitive endurance racing is on the horizon. I am pretty pleased with some of my results so far but there are too many minor places on my C.V. I now know I can get podiums… but I want to smash some big rides and races. This is going to be a big year for me; I plan to knock out killer rides on the Coast to Coast and at the Adrenalin World 24hr Solo Championships. These are my two objectives which I will not compromise by over racing or riding.

In ’08 my enthusiasm got the better of me. Three 24hrs in three months was way too much for somebody who wants to perform at his best. This came to a head at Sleepless in the Saddle. Without meaning any disrespect for my fellow competitors, it was by far the worst I have ever ridden and I have never felt so bad on a bike. I know now what a nightmare a 24hr race can be when body and mind collapse…. and I never intend to go to that dark place again.

So far I have ridden and raced by feel only. At times it’s served me well. For next year though I’ve decided to take the plunge and hire a coach. I don’t expect this to be a Magic Wand by any stretch of the imagination but I’m willing to try something new, and a structured approach will help me take the guesswork out of training. My coach is called Will Newton. He coached Rob in the run up to him winning his age category at the 2005 Worlds. Already he has given me some excellent advice. I am confident I’ve chosen the right man for the job…

No comments: