Thursday 6 November 2008

Steppping into the void

My non-24hour racing friends, (and surprisingly, that is most of them!) cannot get their head around what us 24hr racers do. Who can blame them? It’s ridiculous! Most importantly, you’ve really got to want to do it… ‘and why would you want to do it?’ they ask. I explain, that for me the main attraction is completing something that you were unsure that you could do before you started.

Well, I now know that I can ride laps for 24 hours. Endurance racing will always be fun and challenging for me. I know I can go faster and harder. But I know I can go the course.

The Coast to Coast in under 24 hours? I just don’t know if it’s possible. I don’t know what it will feel like. And that tingle of excitement, that uncertainty and ‘awe of the undertaking’ is something that I haven’t felt since completing my first 24hr race last year. And it’s so good to have that feeling back.

No comments: